Diocesan Preparatory School (DPS) was founded by Christ Church in 1950 as a co-educational school. We are affiliated with Sheng Kung Hui which is a part of the worldwide Anglican Church. Our foundation stone was laid on 16th July 1950, and the official opening day was 2nd October 1950. Originally, DPS ran classes for children from Kindergarten through Primary 4. After Primary 4, students were promoted directly to Primary 5 at the Diocesan Schools. After 1967, DPS consisted of boys only.
In 1969, the DPS Council was incorporated and a new fully subsidised school was opened as a bi-sessional school for boys. This more than doubled the annual intake of the original school. The School is managed by the Diocesan Preparatory School Council, which is a body incorporated by special ordinance. DPS continued to run bi-sessionally under limited facilities until 1986 when the Government provided for Mary Rose School and turned its premises over to DPS at a reasonable cost. For the first time, DPS operated as a truly single-session 12-classroom school.
There has always been a close relationship between DPS and Diocesan Boys' School (DBS). While the formal feeder relationship ended in 2010, DPS and DBS continue to enjoy a special relationship.
In 2005, DPS reverted to co-education to offer a more wholesome Christian education. The old church hall was demolished to make way for the New Annexe Building in the same year. New facilities and a new church hall were added to the School with the completion of the New Annexe in 2007.
DPS believes that 'the fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom.' In other words, that a proper knowledge of Christian values and beliefs is the proper foundation for our children's future. This and a commitment to all round excellence will always be at the heart of what we seek to achieve for our boys and girls
In Memory of Mrs Stella Jefferies 1921-2018
Headteachers of DPS